Havila Capella sets out on the first voyage
CEO of Havila Voyages, Bent Martini, says they are very happy to finally cast off and get the very first experience of the Norwegian coast and become an integral part of everyday traffic which forms part of the lifeblood of the coast.
- As we have established a new shipping company and built the first new ship in eighteen years with three more new ships in store, I think we should dare to say that the 12.12.21 is a historic day both for Havila Voyages and for the coastal route Bergen-Kirkenes.
The new coastal ships to Havila Voyages are decorated and furnished in a Nordic style. The menu on board mirrors the coast you sail through, and the ship has large windows throughout to let stunning views bathed in the ever-changing Arctic light. And as a new ship we have been able to tailor it to modern tastes with larger cabins in a contemporary Scandinavian style.
Havila Voyages has spent around NOK 500 million to make the ships environmentally friendly. Among other things, the plug-in hybrid ships have the world's largest battery packs designed for passenger ships. They weigh 86 tons and have a capacity of 6.1 megawatt hours which is equivalent to 600 top of the range Teslas.
- The batteries allow us to sail for four hours without noise and emissions, and we can sail quietly and sustainably through world heritage fjords and pristine nature.
The battery packs are just one of several measures that mean that our ships cut NOx emissions by around 90 per cent and CO2 emissions by around 25 per cent. The food concept on board with no buffets and where guests are personally served at their tables for all meals also means that Havila Voyages will cut food waste by a total of 60 tonnes per year.
Martini says Havila Voyages sails among the world’s heritage and priceless nature and should do so in such a way that even those who come after us can experience it in the same way.
- Havila Voyages will provide great experiences with small climate footprints.
Havila Voyages will provide great experiences with small climate footprints.
About Havila Voyages
- Havila Voyages is a Norwegian shipping company with headquarters in Fosnavåg on Sunnmøre
- Havila Voyages has an agreement with the Ministry of Transport and Communications to operate four of the eleven ships that sail the classic coastal route between Bergen and Kirkenes until 2030.
- Havila Voyages is building four new ships that will be the most environmentally friendly passenger ships along the coast with, among other things, the world's largest battery packs on board.